Announcements
  • AFN NEWS  Please check regularly all new announcements at AFN NEWS!
  • FORUM LOGIN Is separate from Androidfornook.com website. You must create a separate forum account.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Unable to install some apps (504 error)
03-11-2013, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 09:16 PM by faroutguy.)
Unable to install some apps (504 error)
I already have a Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.2.2 so as soon as I got my AFN card running on my Nook HD+ (16 GB) I started re-downloading as many apps as I could form Google Play Store.

However, a certain number of them failed, with the following message:

"Maps" could not be downloaded due to an error (504).

While others of them succeeded.

Here's a partial list of the ones that won't download:

Maps
Facebook
Draw Something (paid)
Kindle
Yelp
Play Movies & TV

Each attempt to download for a while, without ever getting started then present the error.

I've tried removing my Google account, signing out of Talk, clearing data, uninstalling updates, etc., but those were all fixes for when _no_ apps would download, and also all of those posts were related to other models.

Here's just a sample of some that downloaded no problem.

Drive
Plume
Calendar
Netflix
Meetup
Instagram
Authenticator
Play Music
Talk
Amazon MP3
Google Reader

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi actually it turns out it was just on my hotspot! Odd.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013, 10:59 PM
RE: Unable to install some apps (504 error)
So you are able to download when you are connected directly to your wireless network but when connected to a hotspot you got the error?

(03-11-2013 08:57 PM)faroutguy Wrote:  I already have a Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.2.2 so as soon as I got my AFN card running on my Nook HD+ (16 GB) I started re-downloading as many apps as I could form Google Play Store.

However, a certain number of them failed, with the following message:

"Maps" could not be downloaded due to an error (504).

While others of them succeeded.

Here's a partial list of the ones that won't download:

Maps
Facebook
Draw Something (paid)
Kindle
Yelp
Play Movies & TV

Each attempt to download for a while, without ever getting started then present the error.

I've tried removing my Google account, signing out of Talk, clearing data, uninstalling updates, etc., but those were all fixes for when _no_ apps would download, and also all of those posts were related to other models.

Here's just a sample of some that downloaded no problem.

Drive
Plume
Calendar
Netflix
Meetup
Instagram
Authenticator
Play Music
Talk
Amazon MP3
Google Reader

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi actually it turns out it was just on my hotspot! Odd.
03-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Generally, that means a Gateway error and I would suspect the problem being on the router end rather than the Nook side. Sometimes a router reset will cure it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Mind Like A Steel Trap - Rusty And Illegal In 37 States
03-12-2013, 07:28 PM
(03-11-2013 10:59 PM)Tel864 Wrote:  Generally, that means a Gateway error and I would suspect the problem being on the router end rather than the Nook side. Sometimes a router reset will cure it.

Thanks for following up, both of you.

To clarify, when I say "hot spot" I'm just using my unlocked Galaxy Nexus with a T-Mobile unlimited data plan. My phone's OS allows me to use wi-fi hotspot, but T-Mobile tries to block it on their end based on the user agent. This means that Safari (which doesn't report what it is), anything that's not a browser, and even https pages, can connect, but non-secure pages on non-Safari browsers resolve to the "upsell" page.

On my Mac I use a VPN to avoid the "upsell" page.

Theoretically I could do run the VPN on my Nook if it became necessary (although it seems as if the browser should be fine as long as I'm not running it with a Desktop user agent, for instance).

I figure it's likely enough that the sometimes-wonky connection I have led to some apps getting this 504 error, as everything worked fine on wi-fi (at a Starbucks! hardly a great network).

Also, considering it's a rickety setup that I have, I wouldn't expect you to help troubleshoot any further. However if you do decide this is a use case you want to know more about, I'm happy to test things and provide screenshots (I guess I would need to figure out how to do a screenshot first!).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  FINACIAL APPS GIVE SYSTEM ERROR grobin 1 518 07-22-2013 11:37 AM
Last Post: androidfornook

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | Android For Nook | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication