Announcements
  • AFN NEWS  Please check regularly all new announcements at AFN NEWS!
  • FORUM LOGIN Is separate from Androidfornook.com website. You must create a separate forum account.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Using Your AFN Recovery Plus! Card Jelly Bean - Nook Tablet
06-19-2012, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2014 01:08 PM by androidfornook.)
Using Your AFN Recovery Plus! Card Jelly Bean - Nook Tablet
Using your AFN Recovery Plus! Card for Nook Tablet

ADOBE FLASH PLAYER INFO: See important information at the bottom of these instructions about installing Adobe Flash Player for Jelly Bean.

NOTE: Android Setup Instructions:

Your Recovery Plus! Card contains PDF setup instructions for the Android versions that are on your card. Copy them to your PC and once you have completed installing an Android version on your Nook, follow the appropriate instructions for setting up that version of Android.

Recovery Plus! Card Instructions:

Your AFN Recovery Plus! Card will allow you to recover from a bricked Nook and revert to your stock Nook software or install a custom Android operating system (O/S). ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) is the menu-based program that will guide you through the recovery and installation process. CWM is a very robust program and will let you do other things like create a backup of your O/S or repartition your internal memory. For this instruction set, we are only concerned with reverting your Nook to stock O/S or installing Android. Let’s get started!

NOTE: If your Nook is operating properly with the Nook O/S, you should make a backup first, so that you can restore it to its previous state if you ever want to.

Button Controls:

• Volume Up/Down = Up/Down
• “N” Key = Select
• Power Button = Go Back (previous)

Backing up your Nook

1) Insert your AFN Recovery Plus! Card and turn on the Nook. It will boot into CWM ver. 5.x.x.x.
2) Scroll down to “backup and restore”, select.
3) Select “backup”. It will immediately perform a backup of your Nook and will store it on the SD card if there is enough room (there will be if you bought the card from AFN). If there is not enough room on the card, you also have the option to backup to internal memory.
4) When the backup is done, scroll back down to “backup and restore”, select.
5) Select “restore”. You will see date-time stamps. The bottom one is the backup you just performed. The Stock 1.4.2 backup image that came with the Recovery Plus card, is dated
2012-06-15.01.47.28. Make note of this and the date-time stamp of the backup you created. Your backup may contain apps and settings you had when you made the backup. The stock 1.4.2. backup does not have any apps.
6) Press the back button twice to get back to the main menu.

Jelly Bean NOTE: If you are installing (or backing up) Jelly Bean, you need to use CWM ver. 6.x.x.x. To boot into CWM ver 6.x.x.x., make sure your Nook is turned OFF and insert the Recovery Plus! card. Turn on the power, and press the “n” button to get into the Cyanoboot menu. Select “SD Card Alternate”, by scrolling with the “n” button and selecting the option with the “power” button. Notice that these button controls are different in the CWM menu (see above). Once you have booted into the CWM 6.x.x.x menu continue using the instructions below. If you make a backup of JellyBean, you also want to boot into CWM 6.x.x.x.

Installing Android

No matter what you are going to do – restore a Nook stock O/S or install one of the Android O/S versions you need to format the data and system folders on your Nook.

1) Using the Up/Down keys, scroll down to “Mounts and Storage” and select it (press the “n” key).
2) Scroll down to “format /system”, select, then scroll down to “yes – format”, select.
3) Scroll down to “format /data”, select, then scroll down to “yes – format”, select.
4) Press back (power button)

Installing an Android Image
5) Scroll down to “install zip from sdcard”, select
6) Scroll to “choose zip from sdcard”, select
7) Scroll to and select the O/S you want to install.
8) Scroll down to “yes- Install (whatever O/S you chose)”, select.
You should see a box icon with an Android and a progress bar indicating it is installing the O/S you chose. This may take several minutes – grab your favorite beverage out of the fridge and relax! When it’s done a message at the bottom will say “Install from sdcard complete”.
9) If you installed CM7 or Jelly Bean, then you need to install the Google apps next (gapps). Choose the right gapps for your O/S (CM7 or Jelly Bean). If you installed Miui you don’t install gapps, so go to step 14.
10) For CM7 or Jelly Bean: Scroll down to “choose zip from sdcard”, select.
11) Select “choose zip from sdcard” again, scroll to gapps-cm7.zip or gapps-JellyBean.zip, select.
12) Scroll down to “yes – install gapps-cm7.zip” (or gapps-JellyBean.zip), select.
a. Gapps only takes a minute to install.
13) Press the Back button.
14) Scroll down to “wipe data/factory reset”, select.
15) Scroll down to “Yes – delete all user data”, select. This will clear any user data or configuration settings that are present in the image you just flashed.
16) You’ll see the first option is “reboot system now”. Eject the AFN Recovery Plus! Card first, then press the “n” key to reboot.
17) Your Nook will now boot into Android. The first time or two that it boots into Android it will take a while to load since it is extracting and setting up system files, especially for Jelly Bean. After the Cyanoboot logo disappears, the screen will go black for up to a couple of minutes before you see the AndroidForNook.com logo and spinning gears. Once it has booted to Android, you can follow the standard setup instructions for the operating system. Refer to your Nook manual or the AFN instructions located on the AFN Recovery Plus! Card.

NOTE: You will need a blank micro SD card for use with your new Android Tablet. Your internal Nook memory is available, but many apps require an external SD card inserted to work properly, including transferring files to and from your Nook while booted in Android. Do not use your Recovery Plus card as a file storage card.

Special Instructions For CM7 Installs

When you first boot up, you will see the Setup Wizard and are prompted to press the Green Android. Tap the Android to begin. The next screen will ask you to setup your Google Account. This does not make much sense because you have not set up your wifi yet. Just skip this step and then follow the rest of the setup instructions. Once you have completed the setup instructions, press the “n” button, then your home screen looks like this:

[Image: cm7.2_go_launcher_internal.png]

You can delete the app icons on the launch bar circled in red. Those functions are disabled in the AFN CM7 since they are not usable. Just press on the icon until you see a menu pop-up, then select the trash can to delete them. You can tap/drag other icons to the launch bar. We recommend the settings icon, Google Play, and ES File Explorer.

You will need to setup your wifi next, then your Google account. Refer to the CM7 setup instructions on the forum and start with step #5 http://www.androidfornook.com/forum/thread-1.html

You will notice that you have already accomplished a couple of these steps (time zone, accounts & sync) because these instructions are meant for the SD card version which does not use the setup wizard.

Restoring a Stock Backup

There is already a stock 1.4.2 backup present. It will restore your Nook to factory condition, so it will be just like it was when you took it out of the box. If you created a backup of your Nook, then you have two choices to restore back to Nook.

1) From the main menu, scroll down to “backup and restore”, select.
2) Scroll to “restore”, select.
3) Select the date-time stamp of the recovery image you want to restore.
4) Scroll down to “Yes – Restore”, select.
5) Once complete, eject your Nook and select “reboot system now”. It will boot into a recovered O/S.
You can also make backups of your Android O/S once you have it set to the way you like. Just follow the backup instructions and make note of the date-time stamp that it creates.
6) Store your AFN Recovery Plus! card in a safe place for future use.

ADOBE FLASH PLAYER INFO:

Adobe recently stopped supporting Flash Player for Android (Jelly Bean). Many apps still require Flash Player but you won’t find it in the Google Play store. The Flash Player app is included on your Recovery Plus card. You should install it before installing any other apps, since some apps don’t work properly if they are installed before Flash Player (Veetle, Crackle, etc.) Insert your card into the card reader, then into your PC. Copy the Adobe Flash Player APK file to your PC. After you have setup your Android card, copy the Flash Player app to your card while booted in Android mode and install it.

Here is a link to instructions for copying files to your AFN card from your PC: http://www.androidfornook.com/forum/thread-3.html.

Once you have copied the file, you can find it using ES File Explorer, then tap on it and install.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  AFN NT Recovery Plus Instructions.pdf (Size: 278.55 KB / Downloads: 22)
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2012, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2012 11:10 PM by MojoGB.)
RE: Using Your AFN Recovery Plus! Card - Nook Tablet
(06-19-2012 08:27 PM)androidfornook Wrote:  Using your AFN Recovery Plus! Card for Nook Tablet

This is for the 16GB Nook Tablet ONLY! Installing an internal Android image will not work on the 8GB Tablet (sorry).

Your AFN Recovery Plus! Card will allow you to recover from a bricked Nook and revert to your stock Nook software or install a custom Android operating system (O/S). ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) is the menu-based program that will guide you through the recovery and installation process. CWM is a very robust program and will let you do other things like create a backup of your O/S or repartition your internal memory. For this instruction set, we are only concerned with reverting your Nook to stock O/S or installing Android. Let’s get started!

NOTE: If you Nook is operating properly with the Nook O/S, you should make a backup first, so that you can restore it to its previous state if you ever want to.

Button Controls:

• Volume UP/Down = up/down
• “n” key = Select
• Power button = Back (previous)

Backing up your Nook

1) Insert your AFN Recovery Plus! Card and turn on the Nook. It will boot into CWM.
2) Scroll down to “backup and restore”, select.
3) Select “backup”. It will immediately perform a backup of your Nook and will store it on the SD card if there is enough room (there will be if you bought the card from AFN). If there is not enough room on the card, you also have the option to backup to internal memory.
4) When the backup is done, scroll back down to “backup and restore”, select.
5) Select “restore”. You will see date-time stamps. The bottom one is the backup you just performed. The Stock 1.4.2 backup image that came with the Recovery Plus card, is dated 2012-06-15.01.47.28. Make note of this and the date-time stamp of the backup you created. Your backup may contain apps and settings you had when you made the backup. The stock 1.4.2. backup does not have any apps.
6) Press the back button twice to get back to the main menu.

Installing Android

No matter what you are going to do – restore a Nook stock O/S or install one of the Android O/S versions you need to format the data and system folders on your Nook.

1) Using the Up/Down keys, scroll down to “Mounts and Storage” and select it (press the “n” key).
2) Scroll down to “format /system”, select, then scroll down to “yes – format”, select.
3) Scroll down to “format /data”, select, then scroll down to “yes – format”, select.
4) Press back (power button)
Installing an Android Image
5) Scroll down to “install zip from sdcard”, select
6) Scroll to “choose zip from sdcard”, select
7) Scroll to and select the O/S you want to install.
8) Scroll down to “yes- Install (whatever O/S you chose)”, select.

You should see a box icon with an Android and a progress bar indicating it is installing the O/S you chose. This may take several minutes – grab your favorite beverage out of the fridge and relax! When it’s done a message at the bottom will say “Install from sdcard complete”.

9) If you installed CM7, then you need to install the Google apps next (gapps). If you installed Miui, go to step 14.
10) For CM7: Scroll down to “choose zip from sdcard”, select.
11) Select “choose zip from sdcard” again, scroll to gapps-cm7.zip, select.
12) Scroll down to “yes – install gapps-cm7.zip”, select.
a. Gapps only takes a minute to install.
13) Press the Back button.
14) Scroll down to “wipe data/factor reset”, select.
15) Scroll down to “Yes – delete all user data”, select. This will clear any user data or configuration settings that are present.
16) You’ll see the first option is “reboot system now”. Eject the AFN Recovery Plus! Card first, then press the “n” key to reboot.
17) Your Nook will now boot into Android. The first time or two that it boots into Android it will take a while to load since it is extracting and setting up system files. Once it has booted, you can follow the standard setup instructions for the operating system. Refer to your Nook manual or the AFN forum.
http://androidfornook.com/forum/forum-2.html

Restoring a Stock Backup

There is already a stock 1.4.2 backup present. It will restore your Nook to factory condition, so it will be just like it was when you took it out of the box. If you created a backup of your Nook, then you have two choices to restore back to Nook.

1) From the main menu, scroll down to “backup and restore”, select.
2) Scroll to “restore”, select.
3) Select the date-time stamp of the recovery image you want to restore.
4) Scroll down to “Yes – Restore”, select.
5) Once complete, eject your Nook and select “reboot system now”. It will boot into a recovered O/S.

You can also make backups of your Android O/S once you have it set to the way you like. Just follow the backup instructions and make note of the date-time stamp that it creates.

6) Store your AFN Recovery Plus! card in a safe place for future use.

Instructions are also attached for you to download

Dean where on your site can one order the Tablet AFN Recovery Plus! Card? I don't see it. Thanks

Also I am using your Dual Boot Card which is great. Is there a noticeable benefit to loading the OS internally vs on a SD Card?

If there is any benefit I would like to purchase a card for the 16gb Tablet and try it. I like the idea of being able try it internally and still be able to return it to stock.

Last question: Will the card be able to hold three backups plus the stock backup. 1. My Nook backup. 2. CM7 Backup 3. MIUI backup? Also will the internal OS still be able to use a blank SD card to sideload apps and documents?

Thanks.
06-20-2012, 02:15 AM
Are there any plans to offer the AFN Recovery Plus! card for the 8GB tablet? What time frame?
06-20-2012, 06:29 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2012 06:29 AM by androidfornook.)
Ferne,

Due to technical issues the developers for Miui and CM7 never resolved, the internal Android images cannot be installed on the 8GB Tablet. This is according to the CM7 developer. I will keep looking into it, but I am not optimistic. Hopefully, whatever the problem is can be addressed with ICS.

You can use the Recovery card for the 8GB Tablet to backup your Nook O/S and to recover from a botched Root, but I have not prepared that card yet, as I am not sure how much interest there is in it.

The 16GB Tablet cards and downloads should be offered on the website in the next day or two.
06-20-2012, 06:47 AM
(06-20-2012 06:29 AM)androidfornook Wrote:  Ferne,

Due to technical issues the developers for Miui and CM7 never resolved, the internal Android images cannot be installed on the 8GB Tablet. This is according to the CM7 developer. I will keep looking into it, but I am not optimistic. Hopefully, whatever the problem is can be addressed with ICS.

You can use the Recovery card for the 8GB Tablet to backup your Nook O/S and to recover from a botched Root, but I have not prepared that card yet, as I am not sure how much interest there is in it.

The 16GB Tablet cards and downloads should be offered on the website in the next day or two.

Thanks Dean, will look for the tablet card. Thanks. Is there a real advantage in running android internally vs from an SD card?
06-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Ferne,

Probably the main advantage is that you can hot swap SD cards while you are running Android internally. You can insert a card with music on it, then remove it and insert one with videos, or whatever, without turning off the Nook. You may also notice that it runs a little smoother. I really haven't noticed that, but it would stand to reason that it does. Since you already have an AFN card, you could load a different Android OS on the internal memory and then boot between two different Android O/Ss.

I tried adding the cards to the shop this evening and there is a technical glitch preventing me from doing it. The developer is troubleshooting the problem as I write this. If anyone has already made up their mind to buy one I can sell directly and just send them a Paypal invoice:

NT Recovery Plus! cards are currently only for the 16GB Nook Tablet:

CM7 version $19.99 (with Nook 1.4.2 backup)
Miui version $24.99 (with CM7 & Nook 1.4.2)
06-20-2012, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2012 09:25 PM by MojoGB.)
(06-20-2012 06:48 PM)androidfornook Wrote:  Ferne,

Probably the main advantage is that you can hot swap SD cards while you are running Android internally. You can insert a card with music on it, then remove it and insert one with videos, or whatever, without turning off the Nook. You may also notice that it runs a little smoother. I really haven't noticed that, but it would stand to reason that it does. Since you already have an AFN card, you could load a different Android OS on the internal memory and then boot between two different Android O/Ss.

I tried adding the cards to the shop this evening and there is a technical glitch preventing me from doing it. The developer is troubleshooting the problem as I write this. If anyone has already made up their mind to buy one I can sell directly and just send them a Paypal invoice:

NT Recovery Plus! cards are currently only for the 16GB Nook Tablet:

CM7 version $19.99 (with Nook 1.4.2 backup)
Miui version $24.99 (with CM7 & Nook 1.4.2)

I hate to lose the advantage of rebooting to the Nook OS as I do a lot of reading and like the Nook reader and some of the apps I have on it. The reading is no problem because I use the Simple Touch for reading. The tablet is for play and the video seems a little better on the Nook. But from what I understand I can always restore a backup image of my nook if I make the backup before installing one of the android images. I have had such good luck with your images that I think I want to try your MIUI version with CM7 and Nook 1.4.2 (24.99).

Tell me if I am right with the following:

1. When I boot into your card I will have the option to make a backup of my current Nook Image on your card.
2. I Can then wipe my nook and install MiUi or CM7 internally.
3. I then can set up MIUI or CM7 and make a backup on that same card.
4. I will end up with MIUI or CM7 Internally with backups of my original Nook Image and the Android image (MIUI or CM7) that I installed internally plus the factory 1.4.2 image.
5. I can use the card again to image the tablet back to either my original Nook Image or the Factory Image.
6. If I want I then can boot up with that card as many times as I want to restore any of my backup images or even use the android image I haven't used yet (CM7 or MIUI).
7. The end result: I will have a card that I can boot up and change the internal image between 4 flavors (CM7, MIUI, My Original Nook, or even the Factory 1.4.2 Image). Is this right?

I will have to say for 24.99 this is a damn good deal!!

I also like the hot swap of the sd card and with my current AFN card I can, as you say, swap between two flavors of android without removing the sd card.

This now brings up three important questions:

1. Should I unregister my Nook between making a backup of the Nook
image and wiping the image or before making the backup?
2. Will Win32DiskImager make a backup of the NT Recovery Plus card with all my backups So that I can reimage another SD card if something happens to this card.....you know Murphy's law.
3. Lastly, will your card hold two backup images with the files already on it. You have MIUI, CM7 and Nook 1.4.2 images already on it. If I add two more possibly three more image backups which will be about 4+ gigs each. I guess I could offload the backups to my computer if I run out of space....would that be a problem? I am assuming that the three images on the card are in Zip format (am I right) if so then the card should hold another 8 gig of data. The backups will be in image format I assume (am I right).

Sorry this is so long, just don't want you to have to answer a bunch of questions when I am in the process of using your card.

I don't have a paypal account, I just use my credit card and I saw that it went through paypal when I purchased the download and I opted to not get an account....don't want one. So I don't understand the invoice thing you mentioned. So if it takes awhile for you to get the cards on line let me know how to handle the purchase. If it will be easier I'll just wait until you do get it on line and do as I did before going through paypal and opt out of getting an account.

Thanks for your time reading this.
PS: Like the new format of your forum!!
06-21-2012, 06:14 AM
Mojo,

All of your assumptions are correct! Smile

To answer your questions:

1. I would not unregister your Nook. If you do, your backup will essentially be the same as the stock 1.4.2. The advantage of making a backup of yours is it will preserve all of the personalized settings you have. The stock backup, will return it to as your Nook was when you took it out of the box.
2. Yes, you can use Win32Disk Imagerto make a backup and that is a great idea. You don't even need a card, just save the image to your hard drive.
3. The card is a new SanDisk class 4, 4GB. It will have enough room on it to save 4 backups in addition to the 1.4.2 backup and the ZIP images that are on it, with room to add more of both when new products are available.

The backups are about 500 MB each and the zip files are approximately 100 - 120 MB each, and the CWM program itself takes up very little space, so you have lots of room! You have to option to store your backups on internal memory, but it really isn't necessary.

CWS is still troubleshooting the products posting issue. It was working fine, then suddenly decided not to let me add any more. Apparently, this is a known Joomla bug. As soon as it is sorted, I will have the shop updated.

I believe I can send you a Paypal invoice and you can pay with a credit card. We can try it if you like, and if it doesn't give you the option, I can cancel the invoice.

Thanks,
Dean
06-21-2012, 06:57 AM
(06-21-2012 06:14 AM)androidfornook Wrote:  Mojo,

All of your assumptions are correct! Smile

To answer your questions:

1. I would not unregister your Nook. If you do, your backup will essentially be the same as the stock 1.4.2. The advantage of making a backup of yours is it will preserve all of the personalized settings you have. The stock backup, will return it to as your Nook was when you took it out of the box.
2. Yes, you can use Win32Disk Imagerto make a backup and that is a great idea. You don't even need a card, just save the image to your hard drive.
3. The card is a new SanDisk class 4, 4GB. It will have enough room on it to save 4 backups in addition to the 1.4.2 backup and the ZIP images that are on it, with room to add more of both when new products are available.

The backups are about 500 MB each and the zip files are approximately 100 - 120 MB each, and the CWM program itself takes up very little space, so you have lots of room! You have to option to store your backups on internal memory, but it really isn't necessary.

CWS is still troubleshooting the products posting issue. It was working fine, then suddenly decided not to let me add any more. Apparently, this is a known Joomla bug. As soon as it is sorted, I will have the shop updated.

I believe I can send you a Paypal invoice and you can pay with a credit card. We can try it if you like, and if it doesn't give you the option, I can cancel the invoice.

Thanks,
Dean

OK Dean.....let's try it. What do you need from me. An address I suspect. Do you want me to send it via email? Let me know and I will send you an email from my email account giving you the address to send it to. Thanks.
05-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Hi there- I am in the process of setting up Jelly Bean on my nook tablet 16gb and it seems to have locked up in the process of performing the backup. It is possible that I've screwed it up in that I performed a backup on the card using the CWM ver 5.x.x.x first, before realizing that I needed to do it differently for Jelly Bean. So the card essentially already has a ver 5.x.x.x backup on it, and may now have run out of free space. I did notice strings during this latest backup that said "freeing up space." How do I go about moving forward from here? I did take the precaution of backing up the AFN Recovery card to my PC, but noticed your warning about removing it from the Nook improperly. As it seems locked, I need to understand how best to proceed. Thanks for your support.

Rod

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Using Your AFN Recovery Plus! Card - Nook Color androidfornook 14 12,479 06-10-2014 03:25 PM
Last Post: jimrich
  Setting Up Your Jelly Bean Card for the first time androidfornook 105 49,372 06-04-2014 05:16 PM
Last Post: PJL
  Using Your Recovery Plus Card - KitKat - Nook Tablet (BNTV250) androidfornook 0 1,236 04-25-2014 01:12 PM
Last Post: androidfornook

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | Android For Nook | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication