Announcements
  • 11/30/14 10% Sale Pricing! As a thank-you to our customers for the great response to our Black Friday sale we have discounted software downloads and preloaded cards through the holiday season!
  • AFN NEWS  Please check regularly all new announcements at AFN NEWS!
  • FORUM LOGIN Is separate from Androidfornook.com website. You must create a separate forum account.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nook HD+ / Ubuntu Linux user
06-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Nook HD+ / Ubuntu Linux user
I just got my Nook (you probably heard about the recent discount). I heard about "rooting" it and was interested even before my purchase. I've run into issues connecting my stock Nook to my Ubuntu desktop, apparently due to the Nook's use of Microsoft's exFat format.

I was surprised to see that AFN can be installed on a card with linux. I would have thought that exFat support would be needed. That being said, I can't connect my Linux desktop to my Nook and transfer on files. Can AFN help me with this issue?

Also, I was denied permission to post to the Linux section, which I thought would be apropriate.

As for me, I'm new to tablets, until now, with the price of a good one like the iPad, I figured I might as well get an ultrabook if anything. The $179 price for the HD+ 32GB changed my mind. It's quite a nice piece of gear if I can improve it's usability. After reading a bit about how AFN works, I think it might do the job.

Oh...

Hello and Thanks!! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2013, 01:30 PM
RE: Nook HD+ / Ubuntu Linux user
(06-15-2013 10:50 AM)kenw Wrote:  I just got my Nook (you probably heard about the recent discount). I heard about "rooting" it and was interested even before my purchase. I've run into issues connecting my stock Nook to my Ubuntu desktop, apparently due to the Nook's use of Microsoft's exFat format.

I was surprised to see that AFN can be installed on a card with linux. I would have thought that exFat support would be needed. That being said, I can't connect my Linux desktop to my Nook and transfer on files. Can AFN help me with this issue?

Also, I was denied permission to post to the Linux section, which I thought would be apropriate.

As for me, I'm new to tablets, until now, with the price of a good one like the iPad, I figured I might as well get an ultrabook if anything. The $179 price for the HD+ 32GB changed my mind. It's quite a nice piece of gear if I can improve it's usability. After reading a bit about how AFN works, I think it might do the job.

Oh...

Hello and Thanks!! Smile

I believe the issue is stock Nook is using MTP for file transfer, not USB storage mode. I use Ubuntu also and if I want to connect my Nook, I boot into Android and then change the transfer mode to USB (MTP is default) and Ubuntu recognizes the Nook.

Are you trying to create an AFN card? Why are you not using a card reader instead?

I will check the permissions on the Linux forum. Thanks Smile
06-15-2013, 01:33 PM
(06-15-2013 01:30 PM)androidfornook Wrote:  I believe the issue is stock Nook is using MTP for file transfer, not USB storage mode. I use Ubuntu also and if I want to connect my Nook, I boot into Android and then change the transfer mode to USB (MTP is default) and Ubuntu recognizes the Nook.

Are you trying to create an AFN card? Why are you not using a card reader instead?

I will check the permissions on the Linux forum. Thanks Smile

Linux Forum fixed - you can post there now Smile
06-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks for getting back to me. I just got my nook and only even heard of rooting a couple days ago :lol:.

It's great to hear that your expertice extends to linux!! I'll probably buy a card reader and microSSD and do the download. Move this to Linux if you want (doesn't really matter to me).

All I tried to do was to move files to my nook from my desktop and ran into a roadblock. I'm hoping AFN can help.

Thanks!!
06-15-2013, 02:40 PM
(06-15-2013 01:39 PM)kenw Wrote:  ...All I tried to do was to move files to my nook from my desktop and ran into a roadblock. I'm hoping AFN can help.

Thanks!!
They can -- the AFN product will allow you to do what you want.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Brazlian Nook user ALANWATTS 1 474 03-22-2014 10:30 AM
Last Post: androidfornook

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | Android For Nook | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication