Announcements
  • AFN NEWS  Please check regularly all new announcements at AFN NEWS!
  • FORUM LOGIN Is separate from Androidfornook.com website. You must create a separate forum account.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Creating a backup of my Android For Nook card
02-25-2012, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012 07:42 AM by androidfornook.)
Creating a backup of my Android For Nook card
I just bought an AndroidforNook SD card. It works great! How can I make a backup to my PC?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2012, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 12:32 PM by androidfornook.)
RE: Creating a backup
(02-25-2012 03:00 PM)gbolando Wrote:  I just bought an AndroidforNook SD card. It works great! How can I make a backup to my PC?

(You can download these instructions at the bottom of this post)

To back up your card, you need: 1) a Windows PC 2) a cardreader 3) your AndroidForNook card 4) Windisk32 Imaging program

These instructions will show you how to make a backup of your AFN card. It is a very good idea to do this when you first receive your card. Our experience reveals that if something goes wrong, it usually does soon after receiving the card, when customers are learning to use Android. If data gets corrupted on the card it can prevent it from booting, so having a backup will ensure you can reload the card quickly, without having to contact AFN for support. It’s also a good idea to make regular backups of your card so you can restore it with all of your apps and data preserved.

These instructions are for Windows users only. They are created for Windows 7. You may have an older or newer version and some of the screenshots or commands might be slightly different. If you have any trouble, send an email to info@androidfornook.com for assistance. Mac users can refer to the Mac area on our support forum to create a backup: http://www.androidfornook.com/forum

Instructions Summary:

1. Create AFN Backup Folder on your PC
2. Download Win32 Disk Imager program
3. Insert AFN card in card reader, then insert in PC
4. Run Win32 Disk Imager and create backup image.
5. Compress image file

Instructions:

1. Create AFN Backup Folder: Right-click on the Windows Start Button and click on “Open Windows Explorer:

[Image: backup1.png]

2. Click once on Local Disk [C:], then right-click on it and select “New”, then “Folder”

[Image: backup2.png]

3. Name the folder “AFNBackup”. Do not put a space or underscore in the folder name (even though you see a space in the example). The imaging program seems to be finicky with spaces and underscores:

[Image: backup3.png]

4. Okay, now that you have created a folder on your hard drive, we are going to download the win32 disk imager program to that folder and extract it. Click on this link to download the imaging program: https://files.secureserver.net/0fWNDbxLdvym0p I use the r23 version. It is an old version but it creates 4GB backup files. The 7.0 version is newer but it will make a backup the same size as your card (32gb backup file for a 32gb card).

When you are prompted to save the file, click the drop-down arrow and select “Save As”, then find the AFN BACKUP folder you just created and save it there.

5. Once you have downloaded the file to your AFN Backup folder, use Windows Explorer to open the folder and right-click on downloaed file and select “Extract here”:

[Image: backup4.png]

6. The file will extract into the folder. Double-click on the executable file to run the imaging program:

[Image: backup5.png]

When started, the imaging program will look like this:

[Image: win32.png]

7. Insert your AFN card into a card reader, then into your PC. The imaging program should automatically detect the drive letter of your micro SD card. Notice when I inserted my card, Windows Explorer detected it as drive letter O: and so did the imaging program.:

[Image: backup6.png]

Your drive letter may different, such as letter E: or F: or G:

8. Now click on the white box to the left of the blue folder and type (without quotes):

“C:\AFNBackup\AFNbackup.img”

[Image: backup7.png]

This will tell the imaging program to create a backup file called “AFNbackup.img” and save it to the AFN Backup folder on your C: drive.

9. Click the READ button

[Image: backup8.png]

The program will immediately start reading the data on your card and will create an exact copy of it and save it to your backup folder. Monitor the progress. It could take 15-30 minutes or more, depending on the size of your card. Once it is 100% complete, safely eject your card from your PC by right-clicking on the drive letter in Windows Explorer and select “Eject”.

The created backup image file in this example is 8GB in size:

[Image: backup9.png]

EDIT: 6/6/13: I replaced the latest version of win32 disk imager with an older version (r23). It will create an image file only 4GB in size even if your card is larger. You now have a backup file that you can write to your card if you ever have to reload it. Just click on the blue folder and browse to the C:\AFN Backup folder and double-click on the image to load it into the program. Insert your card into your card reader, then into your PC, and click “WRITE” after making sure the drive letter corresponds to your card. WARNING: Only click WRITE when you are reloading your card, not when you are making a backup! Writing overwrites your card completely and will erase anything that was on it previously.

[Image: backup12.png]

Saving space on your hard drive:

After you have created the backup, you can compress (zip) the file to save about 3.5GB of space. Right-click on the file and select “Send to”, then “Compressed (zipped) folder”:

[Image: backup10.png]

Notice now a compressed file with a .zip extension has been created and it is only ~219MB!

[Image: backup11.png]

You can now delete the .img file to conserve your hard drive space and when you need to reload your card, you just unzip the file again just as you did with the win32 disk imager file you downloaded earlier. Remember, you need to have at least 4GB of free space though to unzip it!

If you have any questions about these instructions, send an email to info@androidfornook.com.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Making a Backup of your AFN card.pdf (Size: 1.02 MB / Downloads: 336)
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to androidfornook for this post:
bernie (03-17-2014), eleven (04-29-2014), krumerill (08-20-2013)
03-31-2012, 02:19 PM
RE: Creating a backup of my Android For Nook card
tnx for this basic tutorial -
Is the entire uSD card read/written - ie, all the partitions - or only one ?
Is the image of the entire uSD area - ie, even the blank/empty areas.... or just the used data ?
Lastly - how big is the resulting image file ?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ps56k for this post:
krumerill (08-20-2013)
03-31-2012, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 10:05 AM by androidfornook.)
(03-31-2012 02:19 PM)ps56k Wrote:  tnx for this basic tutorial -
Is the entire uSD card read/written - ie, all the partitions - or only one ?
Is the image of the entire uSD area - ie, even the blank/empty areas.... or just the used data ?
Lastly - how big is the resulting image file ?

Don't quote me on this, but when you use the imaging program, it completely overwrites anything on yourur card, so the entire card is written to.

Depending on which version of Windisk Imager you use, it appears to write differently. For example, the version I have posted on my file share sites is version r.22 It is fairly old compared to the latest release, but it creates only 4GB image files, no matter what size card you have created the image from. The newer versions of the program will create an image the exact same size as the card you own.

So, by deduction it would appear the older version either does some type of compression, or skips empty data blocks when it is reading your card, or both. The newer versions read/write empty spaces.

I have not had any problems using the older version and prefer to use it to conserve hard drive space. If anyone determines that it causes problems, I would definitely stop using it, but so far so good.

You can further reduce the size of the image file by using WinZip. For the Tablet images, it reduces the 4GB image file to about 130MB! That makes it very easy to upload and download from the fileshare site. The Nook color images are a little larger (300-400MB). The Phiremod images will only Zip to about 2GB - not sure why.

Hope this answers your questions.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to androidfornook for this post:
krumerill (08-20-2013)
04-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Having problems backing up my NFA card.
I keep getting the following error:
[Image: android1.PNG]
Please help,
Thanks,
Barry
04-06-2012, 02:12 PM
(04-06-2012 01:59 PM)BarryV Wrote:  Having problems backing up my NFA card.
I keep getting the following error:
[Image: android1.PNG]
Please help,
Thanks,
Barry
Are you sure you're selecting the actual drive letter for the SD card (which needs to be in a card reader, not in the NT)?
04-06-2012, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2012 02:29 PM by BarryV.)
(04-06-2012 02:12 PM)PJL Wrote:  Are you sure you're selecting the actual drive letter for the SD card (which needs to be in a card reader, not in the NT)?

Yes the SD card was in my card reader in my PC.
04-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Behind the Error window, it would show which drive letter it is trying to create the image file from. Make sure that drive letter is the same as the letter assigned to your cardreader. By the error message, it appears it is looking for it in the wrong place.
04-06-2012, 04:07 PM
(04-06-2012 03:28 PM)androidfornook Wrote:  Behind the Error window, it would show which drive letter it is trying to create the image file from. Make sure that drive letter is the same as the letter assigned to your cardreader. By the error message, it appears it is looking for it in the wrong place.

It seem I don't know what I am doing. Here is my last attempt:
[Image: card1.jpg]
I don't know what to put into box (image file)
Barry
04-06-2012, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2012 05:02 PM by androidfornook.)
Barry, In the white box, type any name that you want (something that makes sense to you so you can find it later), but make sure it is NOT drive J: in the white box - it needs to be your hard drive. It can't be the same drive letter as your card. After you have typed a name, click the READ button. That is it!

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Contact Us | Android For Nook | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication